- INSTITUTIONAL EFFECTIVENESS
Institutional effectiveness is a cyclic process of continuous improvement. It begins with the University mission statement, which defines our fundamental goals and aspirations.
The vision of the IE Department is "Providing a high level of quality of work at the University and high level of quality of education for the students through the gaining of knowledge and skills in-line with the projected needs of the society and projected national development."
The mission of the institutional effectiveness is reflected through the launching of initiatives and program implementation in order to ensure continuous quality improvement and provide a good working environment, promote and improve efficiency in labor processes in all organizational parts, ensure the quality of courses and student satisfaction. The final results or goals are to achieve the satisfaction of employers of our graduates and to strengthen the Alumni Association.
AUBiH strives for the following values:
- Excellence in teaching, efficiency in learning and overall growth and development of the student population in BiH
- High standards of education and recognition of excellence of the institution and its students
- Importance of pluralism and other values ingrained in BiH society
- Proactive monitoring, anticipation and implementation of global trends and technologic advancements within AUBiH
- Efficient communication, contacts and partnerships with entrepreneurs, the industrial sector, government, community and alumni
- Dedication to interactive education and other forms of practical learning
- Undergraduate education that coincides with demands of labor markets and student interests, kept up-to-date and within specialized areas of expertise of AUBiH
- Highest ethical standards for all members of the AUBiH community
- Openness for cooperation with other faculties and universities, both in the country and abroad
- Openness for students from all around the globe who wish to study in English
Institutional effectiveness involves the following areas:
- Main process: establishing an educational process–quality of educational programs, faculty process, textbooks, faculty colleagues and students
- Support process: providing resources–equipment, facilities and textbooks required for classes, library, computer workshops, etc.
- Management process: planning, management, monitoring measurement and improvement, correction
The Quality Assurance (QA) Department at AUBiH was founded in 2010 under the College of International Finance and Banking (CIFB). After gaining American accreditation in the first quarter of 2013, the QA Department grew into a department of institutional effectiveness.
Institutional effectiveness of American University in Bosnia and Herzegovina is carried out in accordance with the principles of quality assurance in the European Higher Education Area (EHEA) with a focus on improving quality and is an essential part of the University’s internal quality assurance system.
The goal of the IE Department is the establishment of institutional mechanisms for evaluation, coordination of initiatives and development programs with the aim of establishing standards, professional development and staff development in the all areas of University.
The establishment and standards of a working system of quality assurance are subject to measurements and evaluation criteria of success of organizational units and study programs.
Quality culture is created in all aspects of business organization and through all normative acts.
The evaluation system of IE is determined in accordance with the state laws from the field of quality in higher education, precisely in:
- development and strategies of the University
- management, internal quality assurance and quality culture
- procedures for quality assurance of study programs
- procedures for evaluation of students
- human resources (HR)
- quality of physical resources
- information systems
- public relations
- international cooperation
USA ACCREDITATION (ACICS)
The Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS) in the field of education USA, awarded official accreditation to AUBiH in 2013. This accreditation of AUBiH has a special value as ACICS, due to the demanding standards in terms of quality of education, is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education and the Council for a Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) in the United States.
Besides the classical teaching system, AUBiH has licensed and accredited education degrees of Distance Learning so that students from all over the world can access live lectures and examinations by the latest electronic systems.
Getting U.S. accreditation is certainly attributed to the fact that AUBiH is one of the universities in the region who, during many years of work, kept high standards and quality of teaching, combining the standard of higher education in Europe and the United States applying universal Bologna process, alongside the U.S. education system. It should be added that recently Turkey's Council of Higher Education (YOK) licensed the diplomas AUBiH and thus "opened the door" for AUBiH to the market of education and employment in Eurasia.
Besides the distinctive quality of teaching in English, digitization of the university, use of the so called “case study” method of instruction, which is the closest method to the challenges of modern life, AUBiH is always trying to adapt tuition for new students and adjust to their real economic possibilities, and thus, despite the global economic crisis, provide the necessary incentives for education and development in Bosnia and Herzegovina and the region of the Western Balkans.
VP OF INSTITUTIONAL EFFECTIVENESS MESSAGE
Institutional effectiveness occurs when achievements and outcomes indicate how well the University’s mission is being fulfilled. The purpose of the institutional effectiveness process at AUBiH is to demonstrate continuous improvement in student learning, educational programs and administrative and educational support services.
The institutional effectiveness process at AUBiH has evolved and significant activities have been shaped by requirements of the ACICS (Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools), the Ministry of Higher Education and the Agency for Development of Higher Education and Quality Assurance of Bosnia and Herzegovina (HEA).
Over the past few years, HI (Higher Institutions) have come under increasing scrutiny by legislative bodies, accrediting agencies and the public in general. All of these groups are demanding more accountability on the part of individual universities and colleges.
While meeting the requirements of external bodies underscores the importance of institutional effectiveness, the internal applications are even more important. Institutional effectiveness provides a mechanism whereby the University can assess and continuously improve its programs and administrative and educational support services. This enables the University to better serve and meet the needs of its students and other stakeholders.